Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel tank line access question
stevegm
post Feb 23 2020, 06:04 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

EDIT:

I think I’ve found the problem. See the last post.

———

I’m getting my engine broken in with a single carb. The fuel pump is located in the engine compartment. When I hook the carb up to the fuel line in the car, it doesn’t get fuel. The pump never quiets down, and no fuel.

When I put a fuel line from the fuel pump directly to a gas can next to the car, it takes fuel and runs fine. The pump quiets down once it gets fuel. Everything works fine.

When I blow air back through the fuel line from the engine compartment, with an air hose, you can hear it coming out in the gas tank. So I don’t think the lines are clogged.

Any ideas why I’m not getting fuel out of the main line with the pump? The line is a hard line. It looks like someone has replaced the plastic lines. The car had carbs when I bought it a few years ago.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MJHanna
post Feb 23 2020, 06:16 PM
Post #2

Does this 911 make my butt look big?

Member No.: 185

Most fuel pumps are pusher pumps they like being close the fuel tank and push the fuel to the carbs. They have a tuff time pulling the fuel the entire length of the car. Also leaving it in the engine compartment it can vaper lock from the heat of the engine after it sits for a while. When you put it in the gas can it is a short distance and is pushing the fuel to the carb. Porsche moved the fuel pump to the front of the car to stop the issue of vaper lock.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Feb 23 2020, 06:22 PM
Post #3

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Assuming the tank isn't close to empty, the fuel pump should be supplied from gravity alone. Is the fuel sock clean?
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 23 2020, 06:29 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Feb 23 2020, 07:22 PM) *

Assuming the tank isn't close to empty, the fuel pump should be supplied from gravity alone. Is the fuel sock clean?

Where/what is the “fuel sock?”
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Feb 23 2020, 06:59 PM
Post #5

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 23 2020, 07:29 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Feb 23 2020, 07:22 PM) *

Where/what is the “fuel sock?”

It is a small screen/filter on the supply line leaving the gas tank.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 23 2020, 07:00 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(MJHanna @ Feb 23 2020, 07:16 PM) *

Most fuel pumps are pusher pumps they like being close the fuel tank and push the fuel to the carbs. They have a tuff time pulling the fuel the entire length of the car. Also leaving it in the engine compartment it can vaper lock from the heat of the engine after it sits for a while. When you put it in the gas can it is a short distance and is pushing the fuel to the carb. Porsche moved the fuel pump to the front of the car to stop the issue of vaper lock.

Thanks. I have dealt with vapor lock with other cars in the past. I’m just surprised this one won’t run at all with the pump. I was considering the possibility that I have a weak pump? If I decide to relocate the pump, can it be put under the car, above the front suspension bolt-on pan, and tie into the fuel line under the tank their? I’d rather not cut/drill to put it in the front trunk, and I don’t have a lot of time this week to do an in-depth installations.
+Quote Post
MJHanna
post Feb 23 2020, 08:03 PM
Post #7

Does this 911 make my butt look big?

Member No.: 185

QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 23 2020, 07:00 PM) *

QUOTE(MJHanna @ Feb 23 2020, 07:16 PM) *

Thanks. I have dealt with vapor lock with other cars in the past. I’m just surprised this one won’t run at all with the pump. I was considering the possibility that I have a weak pump? If I decide to relocate the pump, can it be put under the car, above the front suspension bolt-on pan, and tie into the fuel line under the tank their? I’d rather not cut/drill to put it in the front trunk, and I don’t have a lot of time this week to do an in-depth installations.

under the car, above the front suspension bolt-on pan, and tie into the fuel line under the tank their?

Yes that is where 99% of them are located, you take off the pan and put it in there the pan helps protect it from dirt and getting road debris.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 27 2020, 08:32 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I think I’ve found the culprit. It looks like the previous owner used a very long fuel line from the tank to the main center console hard line, and it might have gotten kinked when the tank was put down in its spot. They probably used a long line because it’s easier to get it hooked up.

Here is my question - if I use a very short line, can I access it to hook it up, through the round hole beneath the tank (photo below), from beneath the car?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 27 2020, 08:37 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yes. It's a little tight but that's how it was done at the factory.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Feb 27 2020, 08:38 PM
Post #10

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 27 2020, 09:32 PM) *
... Here is my question - if I use a very short line, can I access it to hook it up, through the round hole beneath the tank (photo below), from beneath the car?

I don't think so, at least not easily.
Shorten the current line a bit if needed and lower the tank so it doesn't get kinked. Maybe access the fuel line through the hole to help position it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

EDIT: well, maybe you can??? I never could (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
steve
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Feb 27 2020, 08:52 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,939

[quote name='poorsche914' date='Feb 27 2020, 06:38 PM' post='2789812']before s my question - if I use a very short line, can I access it to hook it up, through the round hole beneath the tank (photo below), from beneath the car? [/quote]
Shorten the current line a bit if needed and lower the tank so it doesn't get kinked. Maybe access the fuel line through the hole to help position it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

EDIT: well, maybe you can??? I never could (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
steve
[/quote]
It really helps to have a longer fuel line so that you can form a complete loop between tank and supply line into tunnel. There is then less chance of forming a kink that will cut off supply from tank. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) I eliminated the notoriously troublesome sock filter in the tank, and have a filter installed before pump up front and another filter in the engine compartment.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 27 2020, 08:58 PM
Post #12

914-6 GT in waiting

[quote name='Jamie' date='Feb 27 2020, 09:52 PM' post='2789817']
[quote name='poorsche914' date='Feb 27 2020, 06:38 PM' post='2789812']before s my question - if I use a very short line, can I access it to hook it up, through the round hole beneath the tank (photo below), from beneath the car? [/quote]

steve
[/quote]
It really helps to have a longer fuel line so that you can form a complete loop between tank and supply line into tunnel. There is then less chance of forming a kink that will cut off supply from tank. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) I eliminated the notoriously troublesome sock filter in the tank, and have a filter installed before pump up front and another filter in the engine compartment.
[/quote]

I disagree. All my cars were refitted with Tangerine racing SS fuel lines and new high pressure rubber line. The small length of rubber fuel line has never kinked. A long screwdriver keeps your hand from blocking your view. Just use a small led light to inspect your work and remember the proper type of fuel clamps. I also put a touch of MMO in the line so it slips onto the tank easily.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 27 2020, 09:06 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

[quote name='mepstein' date='Feb 27 2020, 09:58 PM' post='2789819']

steve
[/quote]
[/quote]

I disagree. All my cars were refitted with Tangerine racing SS fuel lines and new high pressure rubber line. The small length of rubber fuel line has never kinked. A long screwdriver keeps your hand from blocking your view. Just use a small led light to inspect your work and remember the proper type of fuel clamps. I also put a touch of MMO in the line so it slips onto the tank easily.
[/quote]

Can you hook it up through the small round hole, from under the car?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 27 2020, 09:10 PM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

[quote name='stevegm' date='Feb 27 2020, 10:06 PM' post='2789824']
[quote name='mepstein' date='Feb 27 2020, 09:58 PM' post='2789819']

steve
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Can you hook it up through the small round hole, from under the car?
[/quote]
yes
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 27 2020, 09:16 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

The kink doesn’t seem to be the only problem. Gas isn’t flowing out of the bottom of the tank very freely. Is behind this line fitting where the fuel “sock” is?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Feb 27 2020, 09:40 PM
Post #16

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Yes, the fuel sock is behind that fitting. I think the easiest way to prevent kinking is to coil the line before you hook it up. IIRC the ideal length is 21 or 22 inches. Details and how-to towards the end of the fuel line video in my signature below...
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 28 2020, 12:29 PM
Post #17

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I've found giving the hose a twist a certain way it coils in a nice loop when the tank is installed. I can then get the screwdriver up there to make a fine adjustment if needed. You have to make sure you orentate the clamps the right way so you can reach them through the window.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:00 AM