Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> installing gauges, need help/advice wiring oil temp and pressure gauges
914 RZ-1
post Jul 15 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #1

Porsche Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,230
Region Association: Southern California

I got oil pressure and oil temp gauges. The instructions are generic and I'd like some specifics about how to install them on my 1.7L '72. Sorry if these seem obvious; I've never done this before.

1. Standard ground or floating ground? I'm leaning toward floating because it looks obvious how to attach the ground. On the standard ground, how do I attach the gnd wires?

2. What do I attach the wire from the gauge light socket to the light switch to? The headlight switch? Which connector?

3. Which fuse do I use for power? #9?

4. I figure I will just attach grounds to a screw on the body, either an existing one or a new one.

5. What is the "switched +12v" light shown in the instructions? The dummy light?

6. Does the oil pressure sensor get installed where the current oil pressure switch is by the distributor? Doesn't appear to be any room, but I'll need to move some hoses, etc out of the way.

7. Where does the oil temp sensor go? The instructions state that it can replace the drain plug. Is this correct?

8. Where is the best route for the wires? I was thinking thru the middle along where the other wiring harness is located. What should I do with them in the engine compartment: zip tie them to other wires, or let them hang free, or what?

If anyone has done this and has pictures or a more detailed description, I'd appreciate it.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TeenerTech
post Jul 16 2016, 10:55 AM
Post #2

some mechanic

Member No.: 17,667
Region Association: North East States

where are you mounting the gauges?
if your mounting them in a center console there is already wires for power, ground, switched power, oil temp, and the blk/blu wire for gauge illumination.

for the oil pressure sender, the sender will not fit in the existing hole you have to remove the oil pressure switch next to the dizzy and use hose to mount the sender on the fan housing or wherever you decide.

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Jul 31 2016, 04:09 PM
Post #3

Porsche Padawan

I'm mounting the gauges under the dash with a 2 gauge bracket. There is no center console. Looks like I'll be adding wiring, but someone confirm this.

What do you mean by "next to the dizzy"?

What kind of hose should I use?

Thanks for the pictures.

I'll try to get to this the next few days and see if I can answer my own questions.

Is there no thread on this already? I tried to search but wasn't able to find anything. Or is this so easy no one ever has to ask? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jul 31 2016, 07:39 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Unless you use the ashtray, this makes a convenient mount using the VDO rubber bracket. Just cut off the angled top and then use the ashtray mounting holes to attach the bracket.Attached Image
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Aug 6 2016, 05:48 PM
Post #5

Porsche Padawan

Here's what I think I will do:

WIRING
1. 3 connections for gauge: wire from gauge to #8 or #9 fuse, wire from gauge to ground, wire from gauge to sender. Seems like this will work.

2. Sender grounded to either the engine block or a wire to the metal somewhere.

3. For illumination, I will tap into the existing illumination wires and connect them to the gauge. I will look on the fuse box to see where these connect and maybe connect them there instead.
I was going to attach them to the light switch, but I'm not sure where; the Haynes wiring diagram was hard to figure out.

PRESSURE GAUGE
4. I need an extension for the pressure gauge. I went to get one like the one shown in one of the images in this thread (metal coated rubber hose with threaded fittings on either end). The thread on the sender appears to be a M10 x 1.0. but it is tapered. The FLAPS had fittings that were close, but not quite. Apparently there is a non-metric pipe size that fits, but I was not comfortable with this; I don't want to strip the threads or screw (pun intended) them up.
[color=#FF0000]
Where can I get metric fittings for this?[/color]
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Aug 6 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #6

Porsche Padawan

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 31 2016, 06:39 PM) *

Unless you use the ashtray, this makes a convenient mount using the VDO rubber bracket. Just cut off the angled top and then use the ashtray mounting holes to attach the bracket.Attached Image

That is an interesting idea! Thanks. I was going to get one of those cup holder ashtrays one of these days.
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Aug 6 2016, 05:52 PM
Post #7

Porsche Padawan

QUOTE(TeenerTech @ Jul 16 2016, 09:55 AM) *

where are you mounting the gauges?
if your mounting them in a center console there is already wires for power, ground, switched power, oil temp, and the blk/blu wire for gauge illumination.

for the oil pressure sender, the sender will not fit in the existing hole you have to remove the oil pressure switch next to the dizzy and use hose to mount the sender on the fan housing or wherever you decide.

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

I just figured out that "dizzy" is distributor! Duh.

Where did you get the fittings for the hose? The fittings on the sensor are tapered and metric. My FLAPS didn't have anything that fit properly (they had some pipe threaded ones that were close, but...)

Where are the wires on the sender, by the way? I can't see them in the picture.
+Quote Post
TeenerTech
post Aug 6 2016, 06:34 PM
Post #8

some mechanic

Member No.: 17,667
Region Association: North East States

You can get the hose from Auto Atlanta and the wiring ( on the sender WK goes to factory light, G goes to your gauge) if you use a rubber extension you will need to ground the sensor if you use the steel braided hose it will ground through the hose to the engine.

As for the wiring fuse 9 is your switched power, the illumination wires go from the light switch to the gauges (no fuse) it is a black wire with a blue stripe you can ether tap on at the switch or at the gauge.
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Aug 9 2016, 11:23 AM
Post #9

Porsche Padawan

QUOTE(TeenerTech @ Aug 6 2016, 05:34 PM) *

You can get the hose from Auto Atlanta and the wiring ( on the sender WK goes to factory light, G goes to your gauge) if you use a rubber extension you will need to ground the sensor if you use the steel braided hose it will ground through the hose to the engine.

As for the wiring fuse 9 is your switched power, the illumination wires go from the light switch to the gauges (no fuse) it is a black wire with a blue stripe you can ether tap on at the switch or at the gauge.

Is there any other source for the adapter fittings? The hose I can get at my FLAPS, but the fittings are metric and tapered (like pipe thread). I've called around and can't find a source.

Has anyone used regular (non-tapered) metric fittings? The FLAPS (and some other sources-the Samba, etc.) all say using the closest English size will work, since the threads are so close, but I'm hesitant. Won't using a non-tapered male thread in a tapered female hole screw something up? Will it be tight enough?
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Aug 9 2016, 01:18 PM
Post #10

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85
Region Association: None

Jeff, I have a extra brake hose you can use. I know it fits the sender, but you'll need to find a male to male fitting for the case to hose. Maybe Metric Specialties?
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Aug 9 2016, 01:43 PM
Post #11

Porsche Padawan

QUOTE(Mike D. @ Aug 9 2016, 12:18 PM) *

Jeff, I have a extra brake hose you can use. I know it fits the sender, but you'll need to find a male to male fitting for the case to hose. Maybe Metric Specialties?

Thanks, Mike, but I got the parts at Bouquet Auto. I just decided to get the NPT fittings. They are really close. The people there said it would work, just put them together finger tight with Teflon tape then give them a small, 1/8 of a turn to seat them.

Metric Specialties didn't have anything. I called or looked at: McMaster-Carr, Graingers, Fastenal, Swagelok, McFadden-Dale, Empi, cip1, and a few other places on the internet. I even called a plumbing supply place.

I emailed Auto Atlanta and asked about the threads on the kit they have. They want $64. Still haven't heard anything.

What did you use from the case to the hose?
+Quote Post
Carl456
post Aug 9 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 18,990
Region Association: Canada

Following along quietly....
I have a vacuum guage as well that will be added but great help so far.
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Aug 20 2016, 02:33 PM
Post #13

Porsche Padawan

QUOTE(Carl456 @ Aug 9 2016, 03:38 PM) *

Following along quietly....
I have a vacuum guage as well that will be added but great help so far.

Stay tuned. I think I might have found a better solution.
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Aug 20 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 13,469

I threaded an 1/8 NPT fitting down in to my block. The adapter had -4AN fitting on the other end. Then I used a female/female -4AN 12 inch hose. Then I used a second -4AN to 1/8 NPT adapter (male/Male) to a 1/8 NPT (female female) then the VDO sender.

David
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Aug 20 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #15

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I bought this kit. Has everything you need, including the right fittings, and is beautifully machined.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-audi-oil-...relocation-kit/

As for the wiring, you can also try running your wires down under the carpet to the factory console harness (if your car is so equipped).
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Sep 15 2016, 11:12 PM
Post #16

Porsche Padawan

So I got the gauges installed. I think the oil temp one works; I haven't got the car hot enough to register. The gauge starts at 120F and I only drove around the block, let the car cool, then fixed a connection. When I started the car a little while later (about 15 minutes) the gauge twitched a bit.

The oil pressure gauge maxes out immediately. I'm thinking this is an electrical grounding issue? I've got it grounded to the fan housing in the engine compartment.

Also, the gauge lights don't come on when I turn on the headlights. I tapped into 2 (one wire per gauge) of the black and purple wires that are for the gauge lights. Went from there to the gauge light. From the gauge light to ground on metal by knee board.
How do I remove the lights from the sockets? I pulled and they don't come out. They don't seem to twist either. I have VDO gauges.

I tapped into the same fuse (#9) as the radio for power to the gauges. Used a piggy back connector and put 2 wires on one spade, then into the fuse connection.

I'll try and post pictures later.

I'll also post what I found to use for a hose for the oil pressure sender.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 16 2016, 12:16 AM
Post #17

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Just finished the wiring harness for the appearance group gauge cluster (like OEM) for those that are interested they will be available for $58 each, and will plug into the factory wiring harness as shown. Doing these to promote the consuls, so if you are looking to add these in soon it will be a plug and play.
+Quote Post
N_Jay
post Sep 16 2016, 07:08 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 19,720

QUOTE(Harpo @ Aug 20 2016, 07:30 PM) *

I threaded an 1/8 NPT fitting down in to my block. The adapter had -4AN fitting on the other end. Then I used a female/female -4AN 12 inch hose. Then I used a second -4AN to 1/8 NPT adapter (male/Male) to a 1/8 NPT (female female) then the VDO sender.

David

Unfortunately the threads in the block are (or should I say, "were") metric and not 1/8 NPT.

You need to make a note that the blick has been "rethredded" for a NTP oil sensor ONLY.
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Sep 16 2016, 08:34 PM
Post #19

Porsche Padawan

It seems the oil temp gauge works. I drove the car for 20 minutes and it went to almost 180. The sensor is under the car and not covered, so the air probably cooled it. I'm just going to assume the oil is hotter than that. Probably should get a temp gauge and try to measure it somehow. Any thoughts on how to do this?

The oil pressure still pegs to the right. I'm pretty sure I hooked it up right, but clearly something is wrong. Any ideas? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

The lights on the gauges don't work either. I tapped into the lighting wires for the other instruments. Does it matter which wire or wires I use?

Here are some pics:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Sep 16 2016, 08:41 PM
Post #20

Porsche Padawan

One other question: how do I pull out the bulbs on these gauges?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:38 PM