Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blinker Relay Question
orbit398
post May 19 2016, 09:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,681
Region Association: Southwest Region

For some reason, the left blinkers no longer come on. I have check the bulbs and they are good. I replaced the fuses the other day and cleaned all the fuse holder contacts.

The right blinkers do come like normal. When I turn on the right blinkers, the relay works like it should. I removed the black relay cap and can see it operating properly. When I turn on the left blinkers, the relay does not work/move. The light filament in the bulbs are not on either.

Is it possible for the relay to only work for one side of the car? I figured the relay either worked or didn't work. Attached are two photos of the relay internals. The one post with a "C" designation appears to have gotten hot at some point and wonder if may be the issue.

Anyone know what the connectors are on the relay?
C =
49 =
49a =
31 =

Attached File(s)
Attached File  relay___blinker.pdf ( 307.98k ) Number of downloads: 106
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 19 2016, 10:16 AM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Also responded on your post on the Bird Board:

With the "C" it sounds like you have a 74+ car.

From the wiring diagrams: The "C" ("K" on earlier cars) feeds the indicator in the tach.

49 is power in, and 49a is power out to the turn signal switch.

The 31 connector is full-time ground.

--DD
+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 19 2016, 10:32 AM
Post #3

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Do the 4-ways work?

The relay is a single provider of power to the turnsignal bulbs for the left and right side. Only the turnsignal stalk determines which side will flash.
+Quote Post
orbit398
post May 19 2016, 10:46 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Spoke @ May 19 2016, 11:32 AM) *

Do the 4-ways work?

The relay is a single provider of power to the turnsignal bulbs for the left and right side. Only the turnsignal stalk determines which side will flash.

Will have to check on the 4 ways when home. If they work, will that indicate I have an issue with the turn signal stalk?.

Assume if they don't work, I have a short somewhere on the left side blinkers, correct?
+Quote Post
orbit398
post May 19 2016, 04:15 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(orbit398 @ May 19 2016, 11:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ May 19 2016, 11:32 AM) *

Do the 4-ways work?

Will have to check on the 4 ways when home. If they work, will that indicate I have an issue with the turn signal stalk?.

Assume if they don't work, I have a short somewhere on the left side blinkers, correct?

At home, when I turn on the flasher, it pops the fuse. When I did the test of hooking a wire from the 49 position to the 49a position in the relay receptacle, only the right side lights up. Nothing on the left. So tells me there is a short on the left side blinkers somewhere? Or does that point to the turn signal stalk selector?
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post May 19 2016, 04:25 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

If you're jumpering each side individually and only getting right side blinks, then I would say that points to a fault on the left side.

However, I had a similar problem when I first got my car. If I used the turn signal to one side, it would pop a fuse. Ended up being a contact was grounding out on the stalk and popping a fuse. New (used) stalk from rhodyguy solved the problem. Thanks Kev!
+Quote Post
orbit398
post May 19 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #7

anyone have a simple wiring diagram of the fuse panel or pics that show what goes where. I have found anything on the net that is useful for me on the 1974 914

Just want to check to make sure all the right color wires are hooked up to the right places.
+Quote Post
orbit398
post May 19 2016, 07:29 PM
Post #8

OK forum folks, any brains out there that know what the heck is going on with the car? Completely frustrated with it. I haven't had any luck yet from comments so far.No luck with left blinkers working. All used to work just fine a few days ago.

When the blinker relay is installed, when I pull out the hazards, blows the fuse, second to the last towards the interior of the car.

With blinker relay installed, right side blinkers work just fine, left has nothing.

With key off and I turn blinker stem to left, left front/rear and right rear parking lights come on. With blinker stem turned to right, only the front right parking light comes one. Fricken weird.

Intermittently, the dash blinker comes on when I have the blinkers to the right working. It should work all the damn time. Faulty relay??????

Thinking the blinker stem switch was faulty, I tired to follow the link blow to get to the switch. Well my car is a 74 and what is described in the link doesn't work. I can't get mine to come out after removing the 4 screws.

If any one has experience any of this, please let me know what you did to fix it.

+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 20 2016, 01:02 PM
Post #9

Jerry

Here's a simplified version of the turnsignal wiring for '74-'76 cars.

As you can see, the 4-way switch and turnsignal stalk are in parallel such that pulling either one causes the lights to flash.

Did you change anything or do any maintenance before this happened?

I don't have any quick things to check other than take a regimented approach checking wiring to and from the flasher relay and turnsignal stalk.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
xperu
post May 20 2016, 01:16 PM
Post #10

TEXAS

Member No.: 6,213

QUOTE(orbit398 @ May 19 2016, 08:29 PM) *

OK forum folks, any brains out there that know what the heck is going on with the car? Completely frustrated with it. I haven't had any luck yet from comments so far.No luck with left blinkers working. All used to work just fine a few days ago.

When the blinker relay is installed, when I pull out the hazards, blows the fuse, second to the last towards the interior of the car.

With blinker relay installed, right side blinkers work just fine, left has nothing.

With key off and I turn blinker stem to left, left front/rear and right rear parking lights come on. With blinker stem turned to right, only the front right parking light comes one. Fricken weird.

Intermittently, the dash blinker comes on when I have the blinkers to the right working. It should work all the damn time. Faulty relay??????

Thinking the blinker stem switch was faulty, I tired to follow the link blow to get to the switch. Well my car is a 74 and what is described in the link doesn't work. I can't get mine to come out after removing the 4 screws.

If any one has experience any of this, please let me know what you did to fix it.

I have a 74, and live in League City (FM 646 & !-45) if you want to take a look. Mike
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post May 20 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #11

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

Electrical problems drive me nuts. You can't see what is going on. Break out the test lights and a meter. Think of it like water flowing through a pipe with the relays acting like valves. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 20 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #12

Jerry

If I were debugging this, first thing to do is check that the bulbs are ok by swapping them in the right side and make sure they light. Then check the grounds on the front and rear left side turnsignal buckets.

You can do a cursory check of the grounds by turning on the parking lights. This should illuminate the low power filament in the front bulb, and the low power filament in the brake bulb. Also check the brake light on the left side. It uses the same ground as the turnsignal.

If the parking lights work, then I would start by disconnecting the battery negative lead, drop the fuse panel and pull out the hazard switch.

All the exterior turnsignal lights terminate (or start) at the hazard switch. Since the left turnsignals front and rear aren't working, likely the issue is at the common point of the wires which is at the hazard switch. See the schematic above. The left turnsignal wire is Black w/white stripe and connects to the L spade. The spade is marked on the switch. Make sure these are all connected and no exposed wires are touching anything.
+Quote Post
orbit398
post May 21 2016, 10:26 AM
Post #13

Update. - For what it's worth, may be helpful to others.

Last night I took the time to learn how to read the electrical wiring diagram and what the symbols ect are. Huge help.

Bypassed the turn signal relay by connecting a jumper wire between spot 49 and 49a. 49 is power in and 49a is power out to the steering column switch (control power to the right or left blinkers). 49a will usually have the 'pulsed' power which make the blinkers blink. Anyway, the jumper makes the power constant. So using the turn signal switch, I could only get the right side blinkers to come on.

Took off the knee pad under the dash and then the connections to the turn signal switch are available. I disconnected the turn signal switch connector (one towards the driver door/other one is the wiper connection). Following the diagram, there are three wires of concern, power coming in (black with white & green), which was constant due to the 49 jumper and then one wire going to the right blinkers and one to the left. Jumping across the power to the right side worked great (black with green), jump to the left (black with white), the rear bulb burn a little/nothing on the front bulb and the jumper wire was getting warm - an issue going one. So I dug into the connections of the front left blinker.

Long ago, when I rewired the front two blinkers, the little rubber boot that protects the connections was completely rotten. So when I reconnected the three wires there (running light, blinker, ground), I put gobs of silicon around it thinking that would be protect the connections. But in reality, I think it allowed corrosion to start as when I uncovered the black/white wire connection (turn signal wire), it was green looking. Cleaned up and using a test light to the connection, retried the left side connection from the turn signal switch and both rear and front left side worked just fine, with no heat in the jumper wire. One problem solved.

Rehooked up the connection to the turn signal switch but it still won't direct power to the left side, thus I think it's bad. Will remove it next to see if I can clean it up or just replace it.

Beer time for a bit....
+Quote Post
914Mike
post May 21 2016, 07:30 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(orbit398 @ May 21 2016, 08:26 AM) *

... Cleaned up and using a test light to the connection, retried the left side connection from the turn signal switch and both rear and front left side worked just fine, with no heat in the jumper wire. One problem solved.

Rehooked up the connection to the turn signal switch but it still won't direct power to the left side, thus I think it's bad. Will remove it next to see if I can clean it up or just replace it.

Beer time for a bit....

Sounds like you found and fixed the short that fried your turn signal switch, so you should be good to go with a new/fixed switch.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post May 8 2021, 10:49 AM
Post #15

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I just waded through the same issue, except it was the right side that wouldn't work. 4 ways worked fine. Column switch solved the problem
+Quote Post
dax1969
post May 10 2021, 01:37 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 17,103

mmm perhaps I should use same procedure to chase my issue.... My turnsignals and hazard work fine but my relay keeps clicking and the arrows on the dash keep flashing. Car is driveable but it is annoying thinking that turnsignals are on while they are not.
Changed relay twice but problem is still there ...

krgds
Dax
+Quote Post
buck toenges
post May 10 2021, 10:15 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,388

I had a similar problem last week with my right side blinkers not working. Kept on blowing a fuse. Replaced an aftermarket black plastic relay with an original and it worked fine.

Buck
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:03 AM